Congratulations! You're getting married! There are SO many things to do before your big day and of course, you'll want your best girls (or guys) right by your side the entire time!
Let's face it, you live in the South, where most of your bridal party will be made up of at least one of the following:
- a relative
- a best friend
- a childhood friend
- a sorority sister
If you let it, your choices can quickly grow to a rather large list of bridesmaids if you're not careful in your selections. And because a true Southern woman is always courteous and kind, you may have a hard time choosing your bridesmaids!
Remember, it is your wedding! It is okay to have an odd number. It is okay to have only a maid of honor. But keep in mind the type of wedding you will be having: if your're having a smaller more intimate wedding, it's probably best to forego having 8 bridesmaids!
Choosing How Many
It is definitely a personal preference on how large or small of a bridal party you want, but there are some things to take into consideration:
- is there enough room at your ceremony location for your bridesmaids to stand next to you? (this won't be an issue if your ceremony is formal and long in time, as they will most likely be sitting in the first row near the altar)
- if your bridal party will be joining you around your wedding cake for toastings, is there enough room for everyone around the table?
- if you're buying your bridal party a gift, do you want to be buying for 4 or 10?
- where are they located? Are they near or far?
The More The Merrier, Right?
Not necessarily! Sometimes the more people you have involved, the more complications that can arise! That's more opinions on dresses, more bouquets to provide for.....however....the upside is there are more hands on deck if you're a DIY kind of bride!!
To Choose Relatives (Or Future Ones) Or Not
This can be tricky! When you got engaged the first person you probably thought about asking was your sister or future sister-in-law (if this applies to you). But how close are you? Take a step back and think about this for a moment before asking! It could be a great decision or a disastrous one. Remember, just because you are related, it doesn't mean that they HAVE to be in your wedding.
Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover
Meaning don't jump to conclusions when narrowing down your list of bridesmaids on whether or not she can afford the bridesmaid dress or not. You never know if she can or not unless you ask, but don't assume.
Your Wedding Is NOT A Game And You Don't Have To Play Tit For Tat!
We said it! Just because such and such from college asked you to be her bridesmaid in her wedding, it doesn't mean you have to ask her back! It's your wedding, not hers!
You Have More Guy Friends Than Girls
No problem! We throw out etiquette books when it comes to weddings! It's 2016, not 1984! It is perfectly okay to have your best guy friend stand next to you at your wedding.
Some Things To Remember:
- It is okay if they turn you down! It's better they do it now, instead of waiting 2 months before your wedding and then trying to find someone to replace them and be able to get a dress in on time! Say Thank You and move on!
- Set expectations to your bridal party. If you expect them to be hands on and involved throughout the planning process, tell them in the beginning!
- Choose a Maid/Matron of Honor who will support you from the moment you ask them until your send-off at the end of your wedding! It's an important role. You'll want someone responsible.
And ALWAYS remember that it is YOUR wedding! Don't let anyone force you into choosing your bridesmaids and don't ever feel obligated or guilty for choosing or not choosing someone!
GET INSPIRATION & NEWS & SPECIAL OFFERS
"Southern celebrations hold a special place in our hearts. From the Spanish moss on old oak trees and beautiful magnolia blooms, to celebrating time old traditions with family and friends. Southern Celebrations Magazine is a lifestyle publication celebrating every special occasion that we will encounter throughout our life!"